TOKYO , Dec. 30 -- ( Kyodo ) _ (EDS: TO BE UPDATED) Tokyo stocks advanced on the last trading day of 2013 on Monday amid a weaker yen and expectations for global economic recovery, with the Nikkei finishing at a six-year high and extending its winning streak to a ninth straight session, the longest rally since July 2009 . The 225-issue Nikkei Stock Average ended up 112.37 points, or 0.69 percent, from Friday at 16,291.31, its highest close since Nov. 2, 2007 . The broader Topix index of all First Section issues on the Tokyo Stock Exchange rose 12.22 points, or 0.95 percent, to 1,302.29, closing above 1,300 for the first time since July 31, 2008 . A wide range of sectors advanced, with major gainers including oil and coal, mining and wholesaler shares.
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence