Domain Therapeutics, Universite de Domain Therapeutics, a
In a release, the groups noted:
The GPCR biosensor technology was developed with the support of a grant from the
The agreement gives Domain Therapeutics co-exclusive access, with
In addition, Domain Therapeutics will offer a unique service in profiling drug candidates for the pharma and biotech industries. Domain Therapeutics also leverages a screening platform called DTect- All, designed to discover innovative drugs that target GPCRs. By combining the two technologies, Domain Therapeutics can discover and optimize more effective non-toxic therapeutic candidates for its internal programs and for collaborative programs with industry partners.
The biosensor technology already covers more than twenty signaling pathways and, under the terms of the agreement, a partnership will also be set up for the joint development of additional biosensors. IRIC researchers and their colleagues from UdeM,
"This technology, which is unique in the world, strengthens our capacity to discover the drugs of tomorrow, more effective and also safer," said
"The combination of our innovative approaches leading to a joint project that brings together our complementary expertise is extremely good news, since improving the efficacy of existing drugs and developing new drugs require establishing innovative partnerships like this one with Domain Therapeutics," notes
Under the terms of the agreement with the UdeM, Domain Therapeutics will make an upfront payment on signing. The company will also pay an annual access fee for the technology, as well as royalties on income earned from sales of screening services and sales of drugs resulting from its own research and partnership activities. Domain Therapeutics will also provide financial support for the discovery of new biosensors.
"We welcome this highly promising partnership to develop the drugs of tomorrow between Domain Therapeutics and a seasoned team from our University, led by
About G-protein coupled receptors and biosensor technology
G-protein coupled receptors (GPCRs) belong to the family of membrane receptors and constitute one of the main classes of therapeutic targets for many indications of the central nervous system, metabolic disorders and cardiovascular, respiratory, urinary or gastrointestinal diseases. The binding of a hormone or a specific ligand to a receptor's binding site activates one or several pathways for intracellular signalling, which enables the cell to provide an adapted response to the change in its environment. The many drugs that target GPCRs represent about 40 percent of all treatments on the market, but only address 15 percent of GPCRs. Industry scientists in the sector are now researching treatments that work on the remaining 85 percent of GPCRs, treatments better adapted to patients' physiology and with fewer risks of side effects. The molecules in question are called allosteric modulators and biased ligands. Biosensor technology enables us to understand the signalling pathways that are activated by each candidate molecule and thus predict its pharmacological profile. This approach makes it possible to choose at a very early development stage the molecule(s) that have the best chance of being active without presenting side effects or inducing tolerance to treatment.
((Comments on this story may be sent to email@example.com))
Domain Therapeutics, Universite de
Domain Therapeutics, a