Washington , Dec. 28 ( ANI ): Asia's richest man Li Ka-shing has become the first individual investor in Atlanta -based BitPay, the startup with ambitions to become the PayPal for the virtual currency world. Li has made this investment through his venture capital company, Horizons Ventures , which manages 150 million dollars in 3 different funds, Tech Crunch reports. Horizons Ventures has been an early investor in companies such as Facebook , Waze, Skype and Summly. According to the report, BitPay raised 2 million dollars from the Founders Fund , which is the VC group run by people who founded and were early employees at PayPal, in May 2013 . Li's investment in BitPay comes at a time, when regulators in India and the People's Bank of China , have issued advisories against the virtual currency, and even questioned the legitimacy of Bitcoin, the report added. ( ANI )
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- Will Missing Malaysian Jet Prompt Aviation System Change?