The key trend in 2013 was the rapid shift to mobility, especially tablets.
Consumers have adopted tablets at a faster pace and this has led to the fall in desktop and laptop sales in the
This is a segment where local brands, such as Touchmate, Eurostar and Eklasse have so far maintained a strong foothold.
Tablets with smaller screen sizes (7 to 8 inches) saw growing demand than bigger screens and accounted for approximately 55% of tablet shipments. Low-cost tablets running on the Android operating system also witnessed growing acceptance.
Smartphone sales also witnessed a strong growth led by Samsung Galaxy S4, Galaxy S3, Note 3, HTC One and Sony Xperia Z1.
BlackBerry made a comeback with Z10, Q5, Q10 and Z30. Even though its sales were worrying across the globe, the manufacturer is still the largest smartphone vendor behind Samsung.
Apple launched its much improved smartphone - iPhone 5S and 5C in November. Gaming industry got a boost with the launch of fourth-generation PlayStation 4 console.
Consumer spending did get a boost due to two Gitex Shoppers taking place this year.
This year also witnessed the launch of organic light-emitting diode (OLED) and 4K TVs from
The new Apple iPad Air and iPad Mini, smart watches from Samsung and
Cloud adoption in many sectors in wide range of models where organisations have come to terms with the fact that cloud gives them the opportunity to build very capital lean infrastructure.
In 2013, overall IT services spending grew by around 15 per cent and software by nine per cent, which shows that the organisations are trying to utilise the infrastructure.
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder
- U.S. Consumer Sentiment Falls in Early March
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- Is Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 in Andaman Sea?
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign