A housewife sustained critical burn injuries as her husband allegedly set her on fire by pouring kerosene on her body in Khanka Sharif area of Sadar upazila on Sunday. The victim was identified as Afroza, wife of Jahangir Alam of the area. Locals said Afroza had earlier taken a loan of Tk5,000 from a non-government organisation to bring economic self-sufficiency in their poverty-ridden family. As she wanted money for the loan installment from her husband Jahangir on Sunday, which was the date for paying the same, there took place an altercation between them over the issue and it later turned into a brawl. At one stage, Jahangir set her wife afire by pouring kerosene on her body, leaving her seriously burnt. Hearing her screams, locals came in, rescued the helpless girl and took her to Gaibandha Adhunik Hospital . Sensing trouble, the cruel husband fled the scene. Hospital sources said Afroza received injuries on different parts of her body including hands, legs and check.
Most Popular Stories
- Diplomatic, Financial Fix Sought for Ukraine Crisis
- 2 Million Long-term Jobless Have No Benefits
- Las Vegas Casino Wants 'Blackout Drunk' Gambler to Pony up $500,000
- Florida Insurers Reach Out to Hispanics
- Disney Lays Off 700 From Interactive Unit
- Last Call for Hispanic Health Care Signups
- Staples Closing Stores, Moving Online
- Stocks Get Green Light on Weekly Jobless Claims
- Costco Revenue Up, Profits Down in Q2
- Where Are the World's Most Expensive Cities?