Our news journalists obtained a quote from the research from NTHU, "Thus, decreasing the CPU processing time and retaining the estimation accuracy of physical properties of nanoscale structures have become critical issues. Accordingly, this study aims to decrease the CPU processing time and complexity of large nanoscale models by atomistic-continuum mechanics (ACM) to build an equivalent model of carbon nanotubes (CNTs). The results of tensile and modal analyses agree with previous experimental results indicating that the ACM model can accurately describe mechanical properties. This study also adopted three definitions of cross-sectional area to explore whether the structure properties of CNT ropes depends on the definitions of cross-sectional area. Results indicate that the Young's modulus distribution based on the circumcircle assumptions agrees well with most of the experimental results. Hence, most experimental methods adopted the circumcircle to obtain the Young's modulus of the CNT ropes. The circumcircle assumption involves the distribution of the tubes and the gap between each tube. The ratio between the gap and tube areas becomes a stable value when the diameter of the CNT ropes is increased. Therefore, a larger diameter of CNT ropes that represents the Young's modulus becomes a stable value, as mentioned in literature. This study also investigated the equivalent solid, shell, and beam models to generate similar mechanical behaviors with the ACM model. The similar mechanical behavior of the equivalent model includes the model under tensile, torsion, or shear external loading."
According to the news editors, the research concluded: "These equivalent models can significantly reduce the required total element number and CPU processing time to investigate a larger nanoscale structure."
For more information on this research see: Estimation of the Mechanical Property of CNT Ropes Using Atomistic-Continuum Mechanics and the Equivalent Methods. Cmc-Computers Materials &
Our news journalists report that additional information may be obtained by contacting C.J. Huang, NTHU, Hsinchu,
Keywords for this news article include:
Our reports deliver fact-based news of research and discoveries from around the world. Copyright 2013, NewsRx LLC
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- Will Missing Malaysian Jet Prompt Aviation System Change?