Iranian researchers from
The presented method can help design products based on carbon nanotubes that are among the most important part in the production of nano electro-mechanical devices due to their unique properties,
When a thin structure such as carbon nanotube is used in a nano electro-mechanical system and subjected to pressure load, a type of instability called buckling appears in the structure. Therefore, it is very important to study its mechanical behavior.
Results showed that classic models predict the critical load higher than the actual amount. As the scale factor increases, critical load declines in the nanotube. It means the toughness of nanotubes decreases, taking into account the effects of scale.
The effect of geometry on the stability of nanotube was also studied.
When the geometric parameter of the ratio of length to diameter increases, or in other words, when the nanotube becomes narrower, the scale factor has less effects on the critical load due to the high length of the tube in comparison with its internal characteristics such as bond length.
The research will continue and they will use the above method to analyze other mechanical phenomena, including vibrations and flexible behavior in other nanostructures such as nanosheets and nanocones.
Results of the research have been published in Composite Structures, vol. 100, 323-331.
It is considered one of the top articles approved by
Most Popular Stories
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- U.S. Consumer Sentiment Falls in Early March
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder
- FDIC Sues Big Banks Over Rate Manipulation