The initial focus of the partnership will see
"This partnership demonstrates BlackBerry's commitment to the device market for the long-term and our determination to remain the innovation leader in secure end-to-end mobile solutions," said
Under the partnership, while
It will also perform product assurance on devices through the
"BlackBerry is an iconic brand with great technology and a loyal international fan base," said
"We are pleased to be working with BlackBerry as it positions itself for future growth and we look forward to a successful strategic partnership in which
BlackBerry will focus heavily, via internal development, on market segments where its continuous innovations in secure hardware, software and services remain critical and integral to enterprise and government customers.
BlackBerry will also drive adoption of its multi-platform BBM (BlackBerry Messenger), deliver real-time, reliable and secure messaging through its
The firm once dominated the smartphone market, but has seen its fortunes decline in recent years and last month abandoned an attempt to find a buyer.
Blackberry recently appointed an interim chief executive,
"It's an absolutely essential deal for Blackberry,"
Blackberry has been hit by the success and popularity of smartphones launched by rivals such as Apple and Samsung. Its attempts to boost its market share have not yielded the desired results.
"This partnership demonstrates BlackBerry's commitment to the device market for the long-term and our determination to remain the innovation leader in secure end-to-end mobile solutions," said Chen.
As part of the deal,
Meanwhile, Blackberry's quarterly results, announced Friday, continue to underline the company's struggle to regain financial stability. Excluding the one-time items and write-downs, the loss was
Its revenue fell to
A new line of devices that run on BlackBerry 10 software has failed to win back market share.
BlackBerry shares climbed as high as
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11