Futures steady as market returns from holiday
Associated Press (Published: 2-Dec 2013 5:24 AM, Received: 5:25:03 AM)
Word Count: 133
NEW YORK (AP) — U.S. stock futures are in a holding pattern following the holiday weekend and eight straight weeks of gains for the S&P 500.
Dow futures are down 2 points to 16,064. The broader Standard & Poor's 500 futures are down 1 point to 1,803. Nasdaq futures are up 3 points to 3,491.
Early returns from the kickoff of the holiday shopping season could influence the market. Reports indicate that shoppers spent less over the long weekend than they did last year, even though they turned out in record crowds. It would be the first decline in Thanksgiving weekend spending since a retail trade group began tracking it in 2006.
Later Monday morning, investors will scrutinize reports on November manufacturing activity and October construction spending for clues on the economy's direction.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Original headline: Futures steady as market returns from holiday
Most Popular Stories
- U.S. Families 'Extraordinarily Vulnerable': Yellen
- Hillary Clinton to Address CHCI Conference
- Larry Ellison Steps Down as Oracle CEO
- Apple Locks Itself Out of Devices
- Alibaba Prices IPO at $68 a Share
- Veterans to Get Training as Solar Panel Installers
- Hispanics Doubt Marco Rubio's Chances
- Wildfires Rage in California
- John Cantlie Delivers ISIS Message to Save Life
- Alibaba: Today China, Tomorrow the World