Futures steady as market returns from holiday
Associated Press (Published: 2-Dec 2013 5:24 AM, Received: 5:25:03 AM)
Word Count: 133
NEW YORK (AP) — U.S. stock futures are in a holding pattern following the holiday weekend and eight straight weeks of gains for the S&P 500.
Dow futures are down 2 points to 16,064. The broader Standard & Poor's 500 futures are down 1 point to 1,803. Nasdaq futures are up 3 points to 3,491.
Early returns from the kickoff of the holiday shopping season could influence the market. Reports indicate that shoppers spent less over the long weekend than they did last year, even though they turned out in record crowds. It would be the first decline in Thanksgiving weekend spending since a retail trade group began tracking it in 2006.
Later Monday morning, investors will scrutinize reports on November manufacturing activity and October construction spending for clues on the economy's direction.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Original headline: Futures steady as market returns from holiday
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11