Dec. 02--Texas Gov. Rick Perry has announced the relocation of a Fortune 500 tech company to College Station and a multi-year grant from the company to support education at Texas A&M University.
Cognizant Technology Solutions has relocated its U.S. headquarters from New Jersey, and the company has pledged a three-year $150,000 grant to support science, technology, engineering and math education programs at A&M. The money will be used for Aggie summer camps that will train high school students from across the Lone Star State.
The governor spoke Monday morning on the A&M campus along with A&M System Chancellor John Sharp, U.S. Rep. Bill Flores and Cognizant President Gordon Coburn.
"We truly believe if we'll act like the private sector as best we can and not raise taxes, not put regulatory burden, ... that the growth that will come and follow that will be extraordinary," Perry said. "It's not a theory anymore. It's in practice in Texas."
Cognizant, which provides information technology, consulting and business process services, has employees and facilities in 49 states, with Montana being the exception. It employs 164,400 people -- 29,000 in the U.S. -- and nets more than $8 billion a year in revenue.
Coburn announced that Cognizant will hire another 10,000 Americans during the next three years and that 750 of those jobs will be in Texas.
(c)2013 The Eagle (Bryan, Texas)
Visit The Eagle (Bryan, Texas) at www.theeagle.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Original headline: Gov. Rick Perry heralds tech company's move to College Station
Most Popular Stories
- Top Hispanic Tech Companies Push for the Top
- 5 Notable Hispanic Technology Executives
- Tesla's Alt-Energy Future Aims for Massive Lithium-Ion Battery Production
- FAA to Appeal Court Decision Allowing Commercial Drone Use
- Rand Paul Tops Presidential Straw Poll at Conservative PAC Conference
- California Establishes Center for Coffee Study
- New Chat App, Yik Yak, Causes Problems for Students
- Sunday Starts Daylight Saving Time
- Arriola Takes Charge at SoCalGas
- Obama Meets with Ukraine Prime Minister Wednesday