The Minister said one of the ways of addressing the problem was the implementation of the infrastructure company (InfraCo) model, which would enable ubiquitous broadband access that would in turn help in accelerating economic development.
The Private BusinessDay Newspaper reported on Wednesday that the minister gave the assurance at the first edition of telecoms stakeholders' summit in the commercial city of
She said: "The ICT sector today contributes just over 8 per cent to Gross Domestic Product. If we achieve our targets of a five-fold increase in broadband penetration by 2017 from six per cent to 30 per cent we will deliver through broadband a phenomenal 3 per cent increase in GDP."
The executive vice chairman of
There are more than 70 million subscribers to five major mobile networks, making the country one of the fastest growing telecommunication sectors in the world.
-0- PANA SB/MA 18Dec2013
Most Popular Stories
- Dmytro Firtash, Ukrainian Billionaire, Arrested in Vienna
- Obama, Ukraine Discuss Russian Incursion in Crimea
- Calumet Photo Files for Bankruptcy
- Ukraine Loan Delayed While Congress Goes on Vacation
- Ukraine Moves Closer to Joining E.U.
- Venezuela Death Toll Reaches 28
- Federal Gov't Deficit Continues to Decline
- Russia Holds Large Military Drills in South
- Navarro Celebrates 2 Years of Vida Mia
- Herbalife Puts Off Meeting for Icahn Talks