WASHINGTON (AP) — The Senate's top Republican says his Democratic counterpart is barring any GOP changes to pending defense legislation because he "can't stomach" a vote on Iran sanctions.
Minority Leader Mitch McConnell said Wednesday that Majority Leader Harry Reid is jamming a comprehensive, $632.8 billion bill through the Senate in the closing days of the session without allowing any amendments. The Kentucky Republican called it a short-term power grab that could come back to haunt the Democrats if they find themselves in the minority.
The Kentucky Republican said Reid is acting at the behest of the Obama administration, which fears a new round of sanctions will scuttle the recent nuclear deal with Tehran.
Republicans and Democrats on Congress' military panels finalized the policy bill to ensure its passage this year.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Original headline: Senate GOP leader assails Dems on defense bill
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- U.S. Consumer Sentiment Falls in Early March
- Is Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 in Andaman Sea?
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign