WASHINGTON (AP) — The Senate's top Republican says his Democratic counterpart is barring any GOP changes to pending defense legislation because he "can't stomach" a vote on Iran sanctions.
Minority Leader Mitch McConnell said Wednesday that Majority Leader Harry Reid is jamming a comprehensive, $632.8 billion bill through the Senate in the closing days of the session without allowing any amendments. The Kentucky Republican called it a short-term power grab that could come back to haunt the Democrats if they find themselves in the minority.
The Kentucky Republican said Reid is acting at the behest of the Obama administration, which fears a new round of sanctions will scuttle the recent nuclear deal with Tehran.
Republicans and Democrats on Congress' military panels finalized the policy bill to ensure its passage this year.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Original headline: Senate GOP leader assails Dems on defense bill
Most Popular Stories
- Rackspace Ends Talks About Possible Acquisition
- Mercedes Rolls Out S550 Plug-in Hybrid
- Missouri GM Plant Adding 750 jobs
- Poverty Rate Drops for First Time Since 2006
- Cedeno Named USHCC Businessman of the Year
- Aaron Hernandez: I Felt Helpless to Refuse Police
- Can Kobach Keep Taylor's Name on Ballot?
- Parameters Being Drawn for IS Action
- Anheuser-Busch, Visa Voice NFL Disapproval
- Two-thirds of Hispanics Doubt Media Accuracy