Apple this week named "Disney Animated" its iPad app of the year.
On Tuesday, Apple released its top picks for apps, movies and music for 2013. Calling "Disney Animated" an "enchanting tour of Disney's legendary film vault," Apple said the Disney iPad app "awes with a bounty of animated sequences, interactive character models and a spellbinding presentation."
The app costs $9.99 and is rated 4+.
"Disney Animated" allows iPad users to view a wealth of never-before-seen concept art, visual effects and other imagery from animators, storytellers and others at Walt Disney Animation Studios. The app covers productions of all 53 Disney animated feature films beginning with "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" in 1937 to an exclusive in-depth look at the most-recent Disney critical and hugely popular animated success, "Frozen."
It's not the first time the Disney app has attracted high praise. Previously it was selected by Mashable as a Mashie Award finalist for Best Branded App. It also was awarded as the Best Digital Book in the Futurebook 2013 Innovation Awards.
The app was created by Disney Interactive, Walt Disney Animation Studios and Touch Press.
In other categories, "Duolingo" was named the iPhone app of the year. "Ridiculous Fishing" was cited as the iPhone game of the year, while "BADLAND" was awarded in the same category for the iPad. The most-downloaded free app of 2013 was "Candy Crush Saga," while "Minecraft -- Pocket Edition" was the most-downloaded paid app of the year.
Currently, there are almost a million apps at the Apple App store.
Original headline: Apple says Disney animation app is best iPad app for 2013
Most Popular Stories
- Dmytro Firtash, Ukrainian Billionaire, Arrested in Vienna
- Obama, Ukraine Discuss Russian Incursion in Crimea
- Obama's Overtime Initiative Praised, Condemned
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign
- Republicans Warn Obama on Immigration
- Liberty Media Drops Sirius Bid
- FDIC Sues Big Banks Over Rate Manipulation
- Uli Hoeness, Bayern Munich President, Gets Prison for Tax Evasion
- Calumet Photo Files for Bankruptcy
- West Readies Harsh Sanctions Against Russia