The University of
"Our understanding of the processes of life is limited by constraints imposed by studying cells and biological systems outside the body. Much more can be learnt if we can work within," says Professor
"We will use nanomaterials and photons to serve as an interface between organisms and artificially engineered systems. By bringing these fields together we will transform our understanding of nanoscale events in living systems.
"We will create a window into the body, with tangible outcomes from our research in areas such as reproductive health, the immune system, and cardiovascular health," Professor Monro says.
The new Centre of Excellence brings together leading researchers from the University of
* The Spark of Life - by exploring approaches to sensing in and around developing embryos
* Origins of Sensation - by probing immune signals linked to touch and pain in the central nervous system
* Inside Blood Vessels - by exploring the role of the endothelium within blood vessels and the damaging effects of plaque.
"These challenges have been selected because they pose measurement questions that cannot be addressed with existing technologies," Professor Monro says. "They provide a context in which we can explore and extend the limits of science, and enable direct impact on people's lives."
The University's Acting Vice-Chancellor and President, Professor
"As well being the only university in
More details about the Centre of Excellence can be found at its website(http://www.cnbp.org.au/).
TNS 30FurigayJof-131218-4582380 30FurigayJof
Most Popular Stories
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- Jack Daniel's Resists Changes to Tenn. Whiskey Law
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- Crimea Seeks Financial Integration With Russia
- E.U. Puts Sanctions on Russia, Ukraine Officials
- Will Missing Malaysian Jet Prompt Aviation System Change?
- Chile Shaken by Major Aftershock