Actress and philanthropist Rosario Dawson will be the keynote speaker for the 21st Annual YWCA Women's Luncheon on April 17, officials have announced.
Dawson, also a singer and writer, has appeared in several movies, including "Men in Black II," "Sin City," "Rent," "Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief" and "Eagle Eye."
She has earned several honors, including an ALMA Award nomination for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture, an American Black Film Festival Rising Star Award, six nominations for the Black Reel Awards and has won the Outstanding Actress in a Motion Picture Image Award, among others. She is also involved with many humanitarian organizations.
The luncheon, which has become a signature community event for the YWCA, raises monies to help support programs that "invest in women and children, strengthen families in transition, build the community, and develop leadership activities in women and girls while helping them reach their full potential," according to organizers.
(c)2013 the El Paso Times (El Paso, Texas). Distributed by MCT Information Services.
Visit the El Paso Times (El Paso, Texas) at www.elpasotimes.com
Original headline: Rosario Dawson to speak at El Paso annual YWCA luncheon
Most Popular Stories
- New Hershey's Logo Revealed
- Americans Still Pessimistic Despite Economic Growth
- Obama's Delay on Immigration Creates Uncertainty
- Startups Offer Smartphone Banking Apps
- Mexico's Pemex Forecasts 6.7% Drop in 2014 Crude Production
- 'Longmire' Cancelled, Looks for New Network
- Clippers Deal Started With 2 Numbers
- Illinois Issues Fracking Rules
- Hip-Hop Takes Up Ferguson Cause
- Echeveste Steps Down, Perez Steps Up at VPE