Pakistan Railways would procure fifty-eight locomotives from a Chinese company as part of the plan to improve its overall performance. Official said that these would be supplied in two years. In the first batch‚ twenty-three locomotives would be supplied and put on trial. After satisfactory performance of the first batch‚ the remaining locomotives would be acquired. The sources said as a result of the measures introduced by the government‚ earnings of Pakistan Railways have substantially improved in the first five months of the current financial year. It generated revenue of over 1339 million rupees from cargo operations alone as against about 507.6 million rupees during same period last year‚ showing 163% increase. The department is trying to create a balance between passenger and freight operations to generate more revenue and narrow down the gap between earning and expenditure.
Most Popular Stories
- Ukraine Crisis Limits Losses in Gold, Silver
- Can GOP Dodge Immigration Bullet?
- Software Writers Sought in Indiana
- Chiquita, Fyffes to Form Top Banana
- Photo ID Required for Unemployment Benefits
- Big Earthquake Rumbles Northern California
- China's Money Rate Drops on Slowdown Concern
- Mt. Gox Files for Bankruptcy in U.S.
- Tech Firms to Increase Hiring for 4th Year in a Row
- '300' Sequel Conquers Box Office Foes