Bidding on eBay for a signed painting of an American flag by stand-your-ground shooter George Zimmerman was just shy of $100,000 Monday night.
The top bid at 10 p.m. EST was $99,966. A total of 101 bids had been registered for the 18- by 24-inch painting, done in shades of blue with some of the wording from the Pledge of Allegiance since it was put up for sale on the Internet auction site Monday. Bidding is to end Saturday.
The eBay bid posting states: "First hand painted artwork by me, George Zimmerman. Everyone has been asking what I have been doing with myself. I found a creative, way to express myself, my emotions and the symbols that represent my experiences. My art work allows me to reflect, providing a therapeutic outlet and allows me to remain indoors :-) I hope you enjoy owning this piece as much as I enjoyed creating it. Your friend, George Zimmerman."
Orlando, Fla., cable television station News 13 reported Zimmerman's brother, Robert Zimmerman Jr., confirmed the painting is the real deal.
George Zimmerman, a neighborhood watch volunteer, became known worldwide after he fatally shot an unarmed, black teenager, Trayvon Martin, in a gated community in Sanford, Fla., in 2012. He said he shot Martin in self-defense and was acquitted.
Copyright 2013 United Press International, Inc. (UPI). Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Original headline: Bidding for Zimmerman painting on eBay at $100,000
Most Popular Stories
- Reid: Bundy Backers Are 'Domestic Terrorists'
- Ex-BP Employee Settles Insider Trading Charges
- Chobani Counters Competition With Expanded Lineup
- Unemployment Rates Down, Job Gains Up in March
- Venture Investments in U.S. Highest Since 2001
- Hiring Fair for Veterans, Job Seekers
- 8 Million Signups Put Obamacare Ahead of Predictions
- VW Beetle Marks 65th Year in U.S.
- Colo. Cleantech Program Calls for Entrepreneurs
- Lilo Comes Clean on Celebrity Sex List