You weren't the only ones addicted to a mobile confection in 2013.
Candy Crush Saga, the game that millions played on subways, waiting at the bank or hanging around the house, was the No. 1 most downloaded free app for the iPhone in 2013, according to Apple.
The game, launched in November 2012 and available for free on the Apple and Android platforms, has over 500 million downloads and has been played over 150 billion times, according to developer King.
Hit games -- think Angry Birds, Words with Friends and FarmVille-- come and go as players navigate to the next big game. But King co-founder Sebastian Knutsson thinks Crush can stay on top with frequent updates. "We add new content every two to three weeks," he says. "It allows you to play the whole saga in a new way."
Key takeaways from the rest of the top 10:
•Communication apps are wildly popular. Vine, a brand new app from Twitter that lets folks make funny six-second videos, was the fourth most downloaded free app. Snapchat, home of photo messages that can disappear within 10 seconds, is No. 6. Instagram, which began as a place to share photos and has evolved into a popular social network (singer Beyonce announced her new digital album on Instagram) is No. 7.
•Despite heated music service competition from Apple, Clear Channel and others, Pandora -- the personalized music service -- had a great year, coming in at No. 9 on the free app download chart. .
•Hot apps from 2012 left the top 10 in 2013. The game Draw Something and original Temple Runwere on last year's top 10. The "Flashlight" app, Twitter, Pinterest and Skype didn't make this year's top 10.
Copyright 2013 USA TODAY
Original headline: Apple's top app downloads of 2013
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Is Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 in Andaman Sea?
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder
- U.S. Consumer Sentiment Falls in Early March