TOKYO , Dec. 17 -- ( Kyodo ) _ Tokyo stocks opened higher Tuesday, with sentiment boosted by sharp overnight rises of U.S. and European shares. In the first 15 minutes of trading, the 225-issue Nikkei Stock Average rose 148.57 points, or 0.98 percent, from Monday to 15,301.48. The broader Topix index of all First Section issues on the Tokyo Stock Exchange was up 9.48 points, or 0.78 percent, to 1,232.43. A wide range of shares drew buying from the outset of trading, with insurance, metal and automaker sectors leading the way.
Most Popular Stories
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign
- FDIC Sues Big Banks Over Rate Manipulation
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder
- Is Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 in Andaman Sea?
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- FDIC Accuses Big Banks of Fraud, Conspiracy
- Stocks Close Lower Ahead of Crimea Vote
- U.S. Consumer Sentiment Falls in Early March
- Ulta Shares Look Good on Strong Q4
- Jittery Investors Dumping Russian Stocks