US researchers have developed a drug-dispensing contact lens designed for prolonged delivery of latanoprost for the treatment of glaucoma.
The contact lenses were designed by researchers at the
As reported in the
Cornea specialist and lead author
The lenses were described as capable of delivering large amounts of drug at substantially constant rates over weeks to months, comparable to those achieved with daily topical latanoprost solution and were described as safe in cell culture and animal studies. This was the first contact lens that had been shown to release drugs for this long in animal models.
and was described by Dr Ciolino as a non-invasive method of drug delivery that could save millions from preventable blindness.
Most Popular Stories
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- Senate Dems Pull All-Nighter on Global Warming
- Senators Reach Deal on Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac
- GM Recall Poses First Major Test for New CEO
- Deborah Hersman Quits NTSB
- Swedish Journalist Nils Horner Shot Dead in Kabul
- Dianne Feinstein Accuses CIA of Spying on Congress
- Job Openings Less Than Expected in January
- Bob Crow Remembered as Shrewd Champion of Union Workers
- El Empleo Rebota: La Columna Cohen