Time Warner Cable says it has made live local TV station signals available on its TWC TV app in Los Angeles and San Diego.
The signals only work for TV subscribers who are also Time Warner Cable Internet customers and are on their home Wi-Fi network.
The addition of the local ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox affiliates, among about 50 other stations, rounds out a lineup of more than 100 live TV channels that can be watched on smartphones, computers, tablets, Roku streaming devices, Samsung smart TVs or Xbox 360 consoles.
The move is part of an industry initiative called "TV Everywhere," which is meant to enhance the benefits of a pay TV subscription as more customers drop service in favor of video streaming services like Netflix and free TV.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Original headline: TW Cable adds live local TV on apps in SoCal
Most Popular Stories
- Americans Still Pessimistic Despite Economic Growth
- Apple to Unveil New Items on Sept. 9
- Friends Followed Similar Paths to Violent Jihad
- Axxis Solutions Appoints Benites as CEO
- California Moves Toward Ban on Plastic Bags
- Obama Puts Ukraine Violence on Russia
- Hillary Clinton Breaks Silence on Ferguson
- Janet Yellen's Assets Grew by 8 Percent in 2013
- Identity Thieves Prey on Job Seekers
- Parra Joins Exclusive Club of Hispanic CEOs