Nov. 08--The classic scathing film "Sunset Boulevard" detailing the demise of a star past her prime is coming back to the silver screen Thursday at 6:30 p.m. at the Ritz Theatre for Golden Isles Arts and Humanities' Cinema Gourmet series, and executive director Heather Heath couldn't be happier with the film chosen for the culinary film mash-up.
"This is a personal favorite of mine because it is very dramatic and over the top. For me being an actor, it speaks to me about aging in this industry," Heath said.
"We want to pick movies that are a treat to watch but also give the audience a chance to discuss why the film is critically acclaimed," she added.
Heath said the staff at Golden Isles Arts and Humanities combs through the American Film Institute and British Film Institute lists of acclaimed films before choosing what to show for the Cinema Gourmet series, which combines a movie screening and discussion with a menu of tasty dishes provided by Indigo Coastal Shanty.
Heath advises audiences to bring their thinking caps along with an appetite.
"We want to show films like 'Sunset Boulevard,' 'Vertigo' and 'Citizen Kane' and talk about what things they should look for that sets these movies apart. Most go to the movies nowadays just to watch a film but don't really discuss it afterwards. These classics are different," she said.
Tickets for Cinema Gourmet are $15 per person, and reservations must be made by Monday.
Review your knowledge of the cinematic masterpiece, and perhaps learn something new, with The News' quiz below (answers on 2C).
1. What famous line did Gloria Swanson, who played Norma Desmond, say at the end of the film?
A. "The stuff that dreams are made of."
B. "Here's looking at you, kid."
C. "All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up."
2. Which actor withdrew right before filming, leading to William Holden getting the part of Joe Gillis?
A. Montgomery Clift
B. Humphrey Bogart
C. James Cagney
3. Max the Butler was also Norma's:
4. The 1950 film won how many Academy Awards?
5. What was the film's fake title during production to prevent the Hollywood elite from preventing filming?
A. "A Can of Beans"
B. "Mirror, Mirror"
6. Which Paramount Pictures director makes a cameo in the film?
A. Ingmar Bergman
B. Cecil B. DeMille
C. Alfred Hitchcock
7. Gloria Swanson was married how many times?
8. Which actress declined to have her named as an aging actress in the film?
A. Katherine Hepburn
B. Vivien Leigh
C. Olivia de Havilland
9. The mansion used to film Norma's residence was also used in which film?
A. "High Society"
B. "Long Day's Journey into Night"
C. "Rebel Without a Cause"
10. William Holden went on to play opposite Kim Novak in what 1955 film?
A. "East of Eden"
C. "The Man with the Golden Arm"
1. Norma's famous last line: C. "All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up."
2. Actor who dropped out of filming: A. Montgomery Clift
3. The butler was also Norma's: B. husband
4. Academy Award trophies: A. three
5. Fake film title: A. "A Can of Beans"
6. Director's cameo: B. Cecil B. DeMille
7. Gloria Swanson was married: B. six times
8. Actress didn't want her name used: C. Olivia de Havilland
9. Mansion also used in: C. "Rebel Without a Cause"
10. William Holden played with Kim Novak: B. "Picnic"
(c)2013 The Brunswick News (Brunswick, Ga.)
Visit The Brunswick News (Brunswick, Ga.) at www.thebrunswicknews.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Chobani Counters Competition With Expanded Lineup
- What to Expect From an Amazon Smartphone
- Clinton Sought GOP Support for Health Plan
- Auto Parts Plant Opening in Pa., Jobs on Tap
- Earnings Season Starts Rough for Health Insurers
- Saucedo Mercer Running on Empty in Arizona
- Spring Salmon Return to San Joaquin
- Venture Investments in U.S. Highest Since 2001
- IPO Market Shows Signs of Settling Down to Earth
- 'Beige Book' Federal Reserve Survey, April 2014: Full Text