Eddie "Piolín" Sotelo will be inducted into the National Radio Hall of Fame on Saturday, Nov. 9, making him the second Hispanic to claim the honor.
The first was Jose Miguel Agrelot who was inducted in 2009, according to Bruce DuMont, chairman of the National Radio Hall of Fame.
Piolín, one of the top Latin radio personalities in the country, will be inducted during ceremony at the Museum of Broadcast Communications in Chicago. Each year, the museum recognizes talents who contribute to the development of radio.
"I feel blessed, honored, and humbled to be included in the company of such great talent," Piolín said in a statement. "I am thankful to each and every one of my fans and listeners of 'El Show de Piolín' who inspire me every day and who have guided me toward the opportunity to receive this great honor."
His show on SiriusXM, "El Show de Piolín," features his take on the day's events, interviews with celebrities, listener call-ins, pranks, music and beloved characters "Dońa Chela," "Casimiro" and "Don Poncho." The show is droadcast from the SiriusXM studios in L.A. Piolín is the first Latin radio personality to host his own Spanish-language show and channel exclusively on SiriusXM, according to a press release.
El Show de Piolín is a live four-hour morning show that airs Monday through Friday from 6 a.m. to 10 a.m. PST, and replays multiple times throughout the day on SiriusXM's Piolín Radio channel 147. Throughout his 22-year career in radio, Piolín has won numerous broadcasting awards, including several NAB Marconi Radio Awards, according to a SiriusXM spokesperson. He also was voted one of the nation's most influential entertainers by the Los Angeles Times.
"Eddie's story is an incredible one, a quintessential American success story," said Frank Flores, vice president of Hispanic Marketing and Sales at SiriusXM, in a statement. "Born in Mexico, he came here in the hopes of fulfilling his dreams. Eddie's motto is 'We came to succeed,' and I am happy that he is receiving this well-deserved recognition and is now part of the SiriusXM family reaching a nation full of his fans."
Eddie "Piolín" Sotelo launched "El Show de Piolín" on October 18, 2013. (Photo courtesy of SiriusXM)
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11