'Nutcracker' for kids
Marriott Theatre gets a jump on the holiday season with its young audiences production of "The Nutcracker." It stars Dara Cameron ("Old Jews Telling Jokes") as Marie, the young girl whose Christmas gift comes to life. Devin DeSantis ("Mary Poppins") plays the Nutcracker prince in the show featuring Tchaikovsky's music with additional music and lyrics by frequent Marriott director and choreographer Marc Robin. Matt Raftery directs and choreographs.
Previews begin at 10 a.m. Friday, Nov. 8, at 10 Marriott Drive, Lincolnshire. The show opens Nov. 16. $15. (847) 634-0200 or .
City on fire
Siblings Chelle and Lank find their business -- an after-hours club located in the basement of their parents' home -- and their relationship threatened by an eruption of violence in "Detroit '67," Dominique Morisseau's retelling of that city's late-1960s racial unrest through the experiences of one family. Northlight Theatre's regional premiere is helmed by Ron OJ Parson, in his Northlight directing debut.
Previews begin at 8 p.m. Friday, Nov. 8, at the North Shore Center for the Performing Arts, 9501 Skokie Blvd., Skokie. The show opens Nov. 15. $25-$75. (847) 673-6300 or .
Elmhurst native John Taflan is among the six actors performing dozens of characters in Gale Childs Daly's new adaptation of Charles Dickens' "Great Expectations." Jason W. Gerace directs Strawdog Theatre's fast-paced production of Dicken's coming-of-age tale of the orphaned Pip, who's plucked from poverty and placed among London's upper-crust.
Opens at 8 p.m. Monday, Nov. 11, at 3829 N. Broadway St., Chicago. $28. (773) 528-9696 or .
-- Barbara Vitello
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Americans Still Pessimistic Despite Economic Growth
- GE Capital and Petters-Related Fund in Legal Battle
- Combating Online Abuse Not Easy for Gamers
- Feds Want Nuclear Waste Train, but Nowhere to Go
- California Conservation Conundrum: Water Use Varies Greatly Across State
- Even With Surly 2014 Electorate, It's 'Still an Incumbent's World'
- Detroit Raced Toward this Week's Bankruptcy Trial
- New Hershey's Logo Revealed
- California Passes First US Statewide Bag Ban
- Obama on Labor Day: Don't Take Rights for Granted