"Star Wars: Episode VII" has been given a Dec. 18, 2015, release date, producers announced in Los Angeles Thursday.
Walt Disney Studios Chairman Alan Horn said in a statement the movie will "anchor the popular holiday filmgoing season [and] ensure our extraordinary filmmaking team has the time needed to deliver a sensational picture."
Disney is producing the movie with Lucasfilm, to be directed by J.J. Abrams from a screenplay by Lawrence Kasdan -- who wrote the screenplay for "Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back."
Filming is scheduled to begin near London next spring.
The Dec. 18 release date puts "Episode VII" on a similar marketing track to blockbusters "Avatar," "Titanic" and "The Lord of the Rings," The Hollywood Reporter said.
The report said some movies are already scheduled for release on the same date -- including Universal's "Warcraft," based on the video game, and Sony's "Inferno," based on a Dan Drown book.
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Chinese May Have Spotted Malaysia Airlines Debris
- 3 Shot Dead in Venezuela Unrest
- Why Buffett Bets Big on Green Energy
- Better Pay Means Bigger Profits: Strategist
- Several Texas Cities Top Job Search List
- Wall Street Rally Heads Off 3rd Day of Decline
- Senate Committee OKs Bill to Sanction Russia
- G7 Presses Russia to Pull Troops Out of Crimea
- Obama's 'Between Two Ferns' Appearance Has Conservatives Upset
- Banks Buying Little From Minority Firms: Study