Toronto Mayor Rob Ford admitted Tuesday he has smoked crack cocaine and denied he was lying when he said earlier this year he did not "use crack cocaine."
When reports first surfaced in May that a cellphone video showed Ford smoking crack, he told reporters the allegation was "ridiculous," and an attorney for Ford told The Toronto Star its report on the allegation contained "false and defamatory" details.
Toronto police last week said they have video of Ford smoking from what appeared to be a crack pipe.
Speaking with reporters at City Hall Tuesday, Ford prompted one to repeat the question, the Star reported.
"You asked me a question back in May. You can repeat the question," Ford said.
"Yes, I have smoked crack cocaine," he said.
Asked why he waited until now to admit he smoke crack, Ford said: "I wasn't lying. You didn't ask the correct questions."
Asked when he smoked crack, the mayor said: "I don't even remember. Some of the stuff that you guys have seen me -- the state I've been in?"
Ford said again he is not an addict or an alcoholic.
"If I had I problem, I'd be the first one to say I'm not fit to run the city," he said Tuesday. "Have I drank a little too much at times? You're absolutely right. Am I going to curb that? Absolutely I'm going to curb that."
Toronto City Councilwoman Jaye Robinson said the substance abuse is "affecting [Ford's] judgment," and said the episode has made Toronto "the laughingstock of North America if not the world."
Toronto police said they would not comment on Ford's admission, the Star reported.
Original headline: Toronto Mayor Ford admits he has smoked crack cocaine
Most Popular Stories
- Dmytro Firtash, Ukrainian Billionaire, Arrested in Vienna
- Obama, Ukraine Discuss Russian Incursion in Crimea
- Ukraine Moves Closer to Joining E.U.
- Ukraine Loan Delayed While Congress Goes on Vacation
- Herbalife Puts Off Meeting for Icahn Talks
- Calumet Photo Files for Bankruptcy
- Navarro Celebrates 2 Years of Vida Mia
- Federal Gov't Deficit Continues to Decline
- Venezuela Death Toll Reaches 28
- Russia Holds Large Military Drills in South