ENP Newswire - 04 November 2013
Release date- 01112013 - Stimulus-funded project in southwestern Wisconsin is complete; project around Bagley & Bradford, N.H. is partially complete.
Today, TDS Telecommunications Corp. (TDS) announces completion of one stimulus-funded project in Wisconsin and partial completion of a project in New Hampshire. The projects, funded in part by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA), make high-speed Internet service accessible to more households and businesses.
The completed project, around Beetown and Potosi, Wis., makes high-speed Internet service accessible to more than 500 households. TDS installed about eight and a half miles of fiber optics cabling and nine new cabinets (which protect the advanced network electronics) throughout its Farmers Telephone Company, LLC exchange. TDS projected the cost at about $1.9 million. The RUS grant covered 75 percent of the cost and TDS invested the remaining 25 percent (nearly $500,000) to expand broadband further out to more residents in southwestern Wisconsin.
Partial completion of the project around Bagley and Bradford, N.H. provides some area households access to high-speed Internet service. The project, which is expected to wrap up by the end of the year, will provide about 800 area households with access to a high-speed Internet connection. About 14 miles of fiber optics and 11 new cabinets are being installed in this TDS exchange known as Merrimack County Telephone Company.
Since July, TDS has completed eight broadband expansion projects in Indiana, New York, Georgia, Wisconsin and Missouri. Customers interested in signing up for services should call 888-CALL-TDS (888-225-5837).
These projects are among 44 that TDS is receiving funding for from the United States Department of Agriculture's (USDA) Rural Utilities Service (RUS) as part of the ARRA.
Nationwide, more than 95 percent of TDS customers already have access to high-speed Internet service. TDS is intent on providing as many remaining customers with broadband connectivity as possible. According to TDS, federal stimulus funds are helping to close the gap and deliver Internet connectivity to more than 20,000 customers.
TDS Telecom, the seventh largest local exchange telephone company in the U.S., is a wholly owned subsidiary of Telephone and Data Systems, Inc.TDS Telecom provides high-speed Internet, phone, and TV entertainment services to customers in more than a hundred rural, suburban, and metropolitan communities. TDS offers businesses the latest communications solutions, including: VoIP (managedIP Hosted) phone service, dedicated high-speed Internet and hosted-managed services.
Today, TDS has nearly one million customer connections in service and 2,500 employees. The company, headquartered in Madison, Wis., manages the operations of TDS Telecom, TDS Hosted & Managed Services (TDS HMS), LLC, and TDS Baja Broadband LLC. Visit tdstelecom.com or tdsbusiness.com for more information.
Telephone and Data Systems, Inc. [NYSE: TDS], a Fortune 500 company, provides wireless; cable and wireline broadband, TV and voice; and hosted and managed services to approximately six million customers nationwide through its business units, TDS Telecommunications Corp., U.S. Cellular, TDS HMS, and TDS Baja Broadband. Founded in 1969 and headquartered in Chicago, TDS employs 10,700 people. For investment information, visit teldta.com.
For background information and updates, visit www.tdstelecom.com/stimulus.
For more information, or a high-resolution map, contact: Cindy Tomlinson, Associate Manager-Public Relations / TDS Telecommunications Corp. / 608-664-4471 / firstname.lastname@example.org
[Editorial queries for this story should be sent to email@example.com]
((Comments on this story may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org))