Sears and Kmart stores will open on Thanksgiving Day and keep the lights on through Black Friday, one of the busiest shopping days of the year, the retailers' parent company said Monday.
Kmart will open at 6 a.m. on Thanksgiving, Nov. 28, and won't close until 11 p.m. the next day, Black Friday.
Sears will open at 8 p.m. on Thanksgiving and will remain until 10 p.m. on Black Friday. Some Sears stores were open last year on Thanksgiving as well.
The retailers' parent company, Hoffman Estates-based Sears Holdings Corp., is trying to spur sales at the most critical point of the year. Last week, the company warned that losses grew in the third quarter as its sales slump continued. It's scheduled to report full results for the quarter on Nov. 21. It lost $194 million in the second quarter of this year.
But Sears isn't the only retailer that feels urgency to jump-start the holidays. A number of retailers have chosen to open on Thanksgiving for the first time this year amid signals that consumers aren't as eager to buy due to the high jobless rate and slow economic recovery.
Macy's will open the doors at most of its 800 namesake department stores at 8 p.m. on Thanksgiving, the first time it's ever opened on the holiday, saying it's following the lead of rivals.
Most Popular Stories
- PBS Series Examines America's Demographic Shift
- Tim Cook Has Proved That Apple is His Baby
- Why the Bond Market Isn't as Safe as You Think
- Royals Beat A's in 12-inning Wild Card Thriller
- Lexus Luxury Compact Sedan Wins Buyers
- Construction Spending Down Again for August
- What to Look for in Mich. Jobs Market
- Obama Seeks Traction From Economic Recovery
- Texas Sees Gains in Hispanic College Enrollment
- Americans Bet Big on Gambling Industry