Power Tel is the telecom arm of the
According to a document made by the
As per plans, internet connectivity will be provided to about one lakh panchayats by next September, while same number of panchayats will get the facility by
The planned National Optical Fibre Network (NOFN), which is intended at last mile connectivity, will serve as the backbone for these facilities. The introduction of NOFN throughout these 2.5 lakh panchayats will be accomplished involving three stages, with dropping of final curtain on
The estimated capital expenditure in the project stands at
According to draft, a pre-paid model, including coupons with denominations of
The gram panchayat offices will offer these coupons and they are expected to get the sales revenues as well.
This move will facilitate added contribution by them into the projects. It is quite remarkable that the necessity for a revenue model emerged subsequent to receipt of lukewarm response by the earlier pilot projects of BBNL covering 59 blocks in three States of
Consequently, decision on the expansion of essential broadband services and ascertaining their usefulness first had been taken.
On the other hand, internet and telecom operators were disinclined to use their bandwidth due to lack of a revenue model. Thus, it has been decided to adopt such model so that BBNL and other stake-holders, comprising BSNL, acquire benefits from the venture.
Most Popular Stories
- Bipartisan Budget Deal Gets Key Support in House
- Bitcoin Clones Lurch Onto Financial Scene
- Clinton to Keynote Annual Simmons Leadership Conference
- GM to Stop Making Autos in Australia
- Selena Gomez, Shakira Among Top Hispanic Searches
- PhD Project Grooms Business Profs
- How Bitcoin and Other Cryptocurrencies Work
- It's Primary Time in Texas
- How to Survive a Subzero Stranding
- Pacific Trade Pact Delay Hinders U.S. Pivot to Asia