* Previews begin Saturday, Nov. 30, for Black Ensemble Theater's world premiere "Once Upon a People: A Dancesical," running in repertory with BET's "The Curtis Mayfield Story," at 4450 N. Clark St., Chicago. Rueben D. Echoles wrote the book and lyrics, Echoles, Alexis J. Rogers and Kelvin Roston, Jr. composed the score for this original fairy tale in which a prince and princess learn to "embrace the joy of living." The show opens Dec. 3. (773) 769-4451 or .
* Rejected by his love -- scientist Kit Smart -- Dr. Guy Better struggles with a life crisis in the middle of an unusual evening in the clinic's ER. There, he and Kit encounter a pair of quirky patients, a surly police officer and an imaginary dog in the steampunk-inspired "Tell Me When It Hurts." Three Cat Productions presents the world premiere of Lisa Scott's play, beginning previews Saturday, Nov. 30, at the Berger Park Coach House Theater, 6205 N. Sheridan Road, Chicago. (312) 970-9840 or .
* Gorilla Tango Theatre, 1919 N. Milwaukee Ave., Chicago, presents two new shows. Kaos Productions "The Arkansaw Bear," Aurand Harris' family-friendly play about a grieving young girl who uncovers the world of magic, where inhabitants include a dancing bear and his silent companion. It opens Saturday, Nov. 30. Also at Gorilla Tango is Be Out Loud Theatre's adults-only "Rough Sex and Other Bad Words," a one-man show written and performed by Michael Swinford about his experiences growing up gay and working in theater. It runs Wednesday, Dec. 4, to Dec. 12. (773) 598-4549 or gorillatango.com.
* To commemorate the debut 25 years ago of its sketch comedy show "Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind," The Neo-Futurists -- with help from Chicago Comics -- presents a one-night-only performance of its greatest hits. It is staged in the building where the show debuted, the former Stage Left Theatre, at 3244 N. Clark St., Chicago. Space is limited and patrons will likely have to stand for the duration of the performance at 8 p.m. Monday, Dec. 2. (773) 878- 4557 or .
-- Barbara Vitello
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Government: 500 Million Records Stolen in 12 Months
- Mom Makes Toys R Us Pull 'Breaking Bad' Dolls
- More Hispanic Voters May Not Mean More Clout
- Pistorius Gets 5-year Sentence in Shooting Death
- Apple Pay Debuts With Few Issues
- Cuba Deploys More Medicos in Ebola Fight
- 2016 Camaro Shrinks, Moves to Caddy Platform
- Volatility No Reason to Bail on Stock Market
- Samsung Phones Cleared For U.S. Government Use
- Disney's Animated Feature 'Moana' Slated for 2016 Release