Singer Justin Timberlake came out on top at the 41st American Music Awards by taking three of the five prizes for which he was nominated, on a night when Jennifer Lopez's tribute to Celia Cruz and host Pitbull's humor left a definite Latino mark on the show.
Timberlake took the most prizes Sunday night and also grabbed the first of the evening, the award for Favorite Male Artist, Pop/Rock, a category in which he competed with Robin Thicke and Bruno Mars.
The American singer thanked fans for their support in electing the evening's prizewinners, and later came back onstage twice more: first to accept the award for Favorite Male Artist, Soul/Rhythm & Blues, and afterwards for Favorite Album, Soul/Rhythm & Blues for "The 20/20 Experience."
Rihanna, 25, was honored with the Icon Award, a brand new category this year, and also took the award for Favorite Female Artist, Rhythm & Blues, handed her personally by actress Zoe Saldaņa and Marc Anthony.
It was specifically Marc Anthony who was named Favorite Latin Music Artist, a category in which he competed with Romeo Santos and Prince Royce, and who this year celebrated the 15th year since his first AMA appearance.
Jennifer Lopez was in the spotlight for one of the most emotional and most Latino moments of the evening: her tribute to the late "Queen of Salsa," Celia Cruz.
The 44-year-old Lopez honored Cruz as she moved to the Caribbean rhythms surrounded by a company of Latino dancers, while through the act she deftly changed costumes in the fleeting segues from one song to the next. EFE
(c) 2013 EFE News Services (U.S.) Inc.
Original headline: Justin Timberlake a big winner at American Music Awards
Most Popular Stories
- Dmytro Firtash, Ukrainian Billionaire, Arrested in Vienna
- Obama, Ukraine Discuss Russian Incursion in Crimea
- Liberty Media Drops Sirius Bid
- Obama's Overtime Initiative Praised, Condemned
- Republicans Warn Obama on Immigration
- Uli Hoeness, Bayern Munich President, Gets Prison for Tax Evasion
- West Readies Harsh Sanctions Against Russia
- Drake Wins Big MTV's Woodie Awards at SXSW
- Lady Gaga Roasts Self on Spit at SXSW
- Calumet Photo Files for Bankruptcy