Celebrity psychic, author and lecturer Sylvia Celeste Browne has died at Good Samaritan Hospital in San Jose, Calif., her Facebook page said. She was 77.
The cause of her death early Wednesday was not specified.
"For nearly six decades, Sylvia Browne dedicated her life to helping others as a spiritual guide through private readings, past-life regressions and prayer groups that spanned the globe," the message on her Facebook page said.
The Kansas City, Mo., native has said her psychic ability began to manifest at the age of 3. For many years she shared her gift with friends and family, then founded The Nirvana Foundation for Psychic Research, a non-profit organization helping thousands of people gain control of their lives, in 1974.
In 1986, she formed the non-profit organization Society of Novus Spiritus [New Spirit] to promote a community of people dedicated to living a spiritual life based on its Gnostic Christian philosophy.
Browne published more than 50 books, 22 of which appeared on the New York Times bestsellers list. She was also a frequent guest on radio and television shows, including "Larry King Live" and "The Montel Williams Show."
"A beacon that shined for so many was extinguished today, but its brightness was re-lit and will now shine forever for many of us from above," Williams said in a statement Wednesday. "I, like so many of you, lost a friend today. But, as has been for the last 20 years, she'll always remain a part of me. My thoughts and prayers go out to Sylvia's family in this time of loss."
Browne is survived by her husband Michael Ulery; sons Christopher and Paul Dufresne; three grandchildren, Angelia, Jeffrey, and William, and her sister Sharon Bortolussi.
A private memorial service is to be scheduled, her Facebook page said.
Copyright 2013 United Press International, Inc. (UPI). Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Original headline: Sylvia Browne, celebrity psychic, dead at 77
Most Popular Stories
- 5 Notable Hispanic Technology Executives
- Top Hispanic Tech Companies Push for the Top
- Rand Paul Tops Presidential Straw Poll at Conservative PAC Conference
- Tesla's Alt-Energy Future Aims for Massive Lithium-Ion Battery Production
- New Chat App, Yik Yak, Causes Problems for Students
- China Urges Malaysia Flight Emergency Response
- Gas Prices May Jump from Calif. Emissions Law
- Visa, MasterCard Team Up to Focus on Payment Security
- Russia, Crimea Discuss Referendum
- Obama Meets with Ukraine Prime Minister Wednesday