A progressive group has called on Sens. John Cornyn and Ted Cruz to make nominations to fill nine federal judge vacancies in Texas.
Progress Texas said Thursday that following a vote in the U.S. Senate to limit filibusters, it was time for Cornyn and Cruz to fulfill their duty to make nominations for the federal bench. President Barack Obama could then appoint those nominees to the nine vacancies that have substantially slowed federal trials in Texas.
Neither Cornyn nor Cruz has recommended anyone in 2013, preventing Obama from making any appointments.
Republican senators have also used filibusters to keep Obama's nominees from taking the bench. Frustrated by the blockade on nomination, the Senate's Democratic majority voted to change the rules to allow nominations to move forward.
(c) 2013 Legal Monitor Worldwide. All Rights Reserved. Provided by Syndigate.info an Albawaba.com company
Original headline: Cornyn and Cruz called to nominate fed judges
Most Popular Stories
- Chinese May Have Spotted Malaysia Airlines Debris
- Why Buffett Bets Big on Green Energy
- 3 Shot Dead in Venezuela Unrest
- Better Pay Means Bigger Profits: Strategist
- Banks Buying Little From Minority Firms: Study
- Several Texas Cities Top Job Search List
- Senate Committee OKs Bill to Sanction Russia
- Wall Street Rally Heads Off 3rd Day of Decline
- G7 Presses Russia to Pull Troops Out of Crimea
- Obama's 'Between Two Ferns' Appearance Has Conservatives Upset