AUSTIN, TX -- (Marketwired) -- 11/20/13 -- 'Tis the season for reflecting on another year's success, kicking off 2014 planning and preparing for... security attacks? With Cyber Monday and the holidays fast approaching, businesses need to prepare for the prevalence of malware hidden in cheerful holiday greetings, shopping offers and heartfelt holiday videos that are designed to tempt employees to click. SolarWinds (NYSE: SWI), a leading provider of powerful and affordable IT management software, today outlined four best practices for businesses looking to keep a mindful watch on their IT infrastructure security as employees (and hackers) take part in the biggest online shopping day of the year.
1. Fortify firewalls - Firewalls are only as good as the rules that you've built. Regardless of network size, firewalls accumulate an ever-growing list of redundant rules and objects, along with conflicting rules and unused rules, all of which can cause mayhem in firewall management during the highly vulnerable holiday online shopping season. Ensure firewall rules are up to date in the case you are exposed from the outside or within.
2. Perfect patches - Organizations are prime targets for infestations when businesses assume that their most recent application version is security-proof, they are not up-to-date on their patches, or when they don't have full account of all the applications installed by end users. Reduce malware exploitations when employees are susceptible to cleverly disguised holiday deal scams by keeping your patches up to date.
3. Monitor internal traffic - Identify where users are chasing shopping deals by continuously monitoring user workstation activity and behavior. With a proxy server, businesses can block certain sites, for example "no shopping," detecting users who are trying to circumvent the policies in place. Bottom-line: If you allow it, monitor it. If you don't, make sure it's blocked.
4. Be on top of bandwidth - With an increased spike and concentration of users utilizing the Internet to browse holiday deals online, this strain will likely impact network bandwidth. Don't lose sight of attackers who may strike while you're focused on keeping your network up and running. Be prepared by monitoring network bandwidth and traffic. Additionally, take appropriate action by pinpointing users who are abusing privileges.
Security Management for Every IT Pro, Organization
For IT pros that don't spend their day thinking about security yet need the tools to tackle everyday operational security challenges, SolarWinds offers IT pros a number of powerful, easy-to-use and affordable products with security functionality built-in. From Security Information and Event Management (SIEM) to firewall and patch management and more, IT pros can assess their environment and deploy SolarWinds' IT management products on a need-by-need basis to achieve end-to-end security visibility.
•SolarWinds Log & Event Manager - SIEM; endpoint data loss monitoring •SolarWinds Firewall Security Manager - Firewall security management •SolarWinds Patch Manager - Endpoint vulnerability management •SolarWinds User Device Tracker - User and device tracking •SolarWinds Serv-U Managed File Transfer (MFT) Server - secure file transfer and sharing
SolarWinds (NYSE: SWI) provides powerful and affordable IT management software to customers worldwide from Fortune 500 enterprises to small businesses. In all of our market areas, our approach is consistent. We focus exclusively on IT Pros and strive to eliminate the complexity that they have been forced to accept from traditional enterprise software vendors. SolarWinds delivers on this commitment with unexpected simplicity through products that are easy to find, buy, use and maintain while providing the power to address any IT management problem on any scale. Our solutions are rooted in our deep connection to our user base, which interacts in our online community, thwack, to solve problems, share technology and best practices, and directly participate in our product development process. Learn more today at http://www.solarwinds.com/.
SolarWinds, SolarWinds.com and thwack are registered trademarks of SolarWinds. All other company and product names mentioned are used only for identification purposes and may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies.
Add to Digg Bookmark with del.icio.us Add to Newsvine
Most Popular Stories
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- Jack Daniel's Resists Changes to Tenn. Whiskey Law
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- Crimea Seeks Financial Integration With Russia
- E.U. Puts Sanctions on Russia, Ukraine Officials
- Will Missing Malaysian Jet Prompt Aviation System Change?
- Chile Shaken by Major Aftershock