FIFA says Ricky Martin will be among the judges of a worldwide contest to pick a song for the official 2014 World Cup album, and will record the final version of the track.
Football's governing body says aspiring musicians can submit videos of original song proposals beginning in December. The contestants will be narrowed to 20 finalists in January and experts and fans will then vote to decide the top five. Martin and a judging team will pick the winner in February, and the singer will record the track for the album.
Martin said in a statement Friday he is "extremely happy and humbled" to "launch this special contest."
FIFA says the official World Cup song will be announced next year shortly before the tournament.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Original headline: Ricky Martin to help choose song for WCup album
Most Popular Stories
- Toxic Algae Threatens Florida Fishing, Tourism
- Eva Mendes Gives Birth to a Baby Girl
- Hispanic Groups Lead Voter Registration Drive
- Fed Signals It Will Keep Key Rate at Record Low
- Plus-Size iPhones Live Up to The Hype
- FedEx Adding 50,000 Holiday Jobs
- Stocks Rise Before Fed Statement
- Occupy Wall Street Buys Up Student Debt
- Cool Features on Today's New iOS 8
- Kohl's Hiring 67,000 for the Holidays