FIFA says Ricky Martin will be among the judges of a worldwide contest to pick a song for the official 2014 World Cup album, and will record the final version of the track.
Football's governing body says aspiring musicians can submit videos of original song proposals beginning in December. The contestants will be narrowed to 20 finalists in January and experts and fans will then vote to decide the top five. Martin and a judging team will pick the winner in February, and the singer will record the track for the album.
Martin said in a statement Friday he is "extremely happy and humbled" to "launch this special contest."
FIFA says the official World Cup song will be announced next year shortly before the tournament.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Original headline: Ricky Martin to help choose song for WCup album
Most Popular Stories
- Chobani Counters Competition With Expanded Lineup
- GM Boosting China Production Capacity
- Jack White Records Songs, Releases Vinyl in Hours
- 420 Pot Holiday Tries To Go Mainstream
- Automakers Turn to China to Fuel Sales Growth
- Malaysia, Flight 370 Relatives Talk Financial Help
- 'Beige Book' Federal Reserve Survey, April 2014: Full Text
- Delay in Ferry Evacuation Puzzles Maritime Experts
- Report: Next Iran Nuclear Talks Set for New York
- Easter morning delivery for space station