FIFA says Ricky Martin will be among the judges of a worldwide contest to pick a song for the official 2014 World Cup album, and will record the final version of the track.
Football's governing body says aspiring musicians can submit videos of original song proposals beginning in December. The contestants will be narrowed to 20 finalists in January and experts and fans will then vote to decide the top five. Martin and a judging team will pick the winner in February, and the singer will record the track for the album.
Martin said in a statement Friday he is "extremely happy and humbled" to "launch this special contest."
FIFA says the official World Cup song will be announced next year shortly before the tournament.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Original headline: Ricky Martin to help choose song for WCup album
Most Popular Stories
- E.U. Puts Sanctions on Russia, Ukraine Officials
- Microsoft Releases Free OneNote for Mac
- Crimea Seeks Financial Integration With Russia
- Homebuilders Show Rising Confidence in Market
- Jack Daniel's Resists Changes to Tenn. Whiskey Law
- Obama Imposes Sanctions on Russian Officials
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- Ford Flies High on Speed
- Chile Shaken by Major Aftershock
- Cape Cod Solar Projects Re-energized