Holyrood Academy student Emily Davis
BRITNEY Spears once sang 'there are two types of people in the world, the ones that entertain and the ones that observe'.
Well, I'm a put-on-a-show kind of girl.
Performance has always been my life, whether through music, drama, writing, comedy, dance or everyday living.
I feel it embodies me, to the extent that every step I take has a purpose and that purpose is 'I am putting on a show'.
That is not to say I live a lie, it is that I share every experience of my life and make it something to be shared.
I write songs, poetry, draw sketches, make YouTube videos and write mini essays that I publish online - all reflecting me, my opinions and my experiences.
Without theatre and literature I would be very dull. Music and drama have saved my sanity on more than one occasion.
Even though the creative industry and all that it embodies is my one true passion, I have been told on several occasions that I am 'wasted' in these areas, being a relatively high-achieving student. Apparently I should be opting for a more academic field such as teaching or law.
One could say that I am being selfish for taking a degree in English and Drama which 'won't be any use to anyone in the inevitable worldwide crisis of the next century'.
I am sorry to say to the shop assistants, tax analysts and stockbrokers who have drummed this into me, that practically the only useful profession at Armageddon will be medicine.
So that puts all of us in a bit of a predicament doesn't it?
The arts give life some kind of meaning, whether it is through therapy, communication or simply the embodiment of ideas through sound and imagery.
Everyone on earth is a part of some culture or another, and the way culture is defined is by what it produces.
The arts surround, sustain and define us. Let's celebrate them.
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Reid: Bundy Backers Are 'Domestic Terrorists'
- Ex-BP Employee Settles Insider Trading Charges
- Twitter Offers App Install Ads
- Judge Tells Dad to Quit Emailing His Kids in All Caps
- 'Boats 'N Hoes' PAC Sunk by Complaint
- Natural Gas Shoots Up on Bullish Stockpile Report
- Naya Rivera and Lea Michele: The 'Glee' Fight That Never Was?
- Larry Flynt Won't Stop Sending Porn to Congress
- Legalize Marijuana But Not Hard Drugs, Say Americans
- Michaels Data Breach May Affect 2.6 Million Cards