Jennifer Lopez has signed on to perform a tribute to Latin music legend Celia Cruz at the 2013 American Music Awards on Nov. 24. Lopez will join Katy Perry, Justin Timberlake, TLC, One Direction and host Pitbull at the NOKIA Theatre L.A. LIVE.
Cruz was a Cuban-American performer and one of the world's most popular salsa artists of the 20th century. Dubbed the "Queen of Salsa" she has earned seven Grammys, including the Best Salsa Album for "La Negra Tiene Tumbao."
Cruz made a simple phrase popular, which later became her trademark shout "ˇAzúcar!" which means "Sugar!" The catch phrase started after she ordered Cuban coffee in a Miami restaurant when waiter asked her if she wanted sugar in it. She replied that one cannot drink Cuban coffee without sugar in it.
Lopez has sold more than 75 million albums worldwide, and racked up more than $1.4 billion in worldwide box office receipts, according to Box Office Mojo. She also is an award-winning TV personality through participation on "American Idol," and the Jennifer Lopez brand has achieved historic and record-breaking proportions and her fragrances have become the most successful celebrity lines in the world.
SOURCE dick clark productions
Most Popular Stories
- Miley Cyrus Performs in Undies After Costume Goes Missing
- FBI Helping Ukraine Recover Stolen Billions
- HBO No Go During 'True Detective' Finale
- Software Writers Sought in Indiana
- Uninsured Rate Continues to Fall
- Colo. Raises $3.5 Million in Pot Revenue
- Kim Jong Un Elected in Remarkable Unanimous Vote
- Neil Young Debuts PonoMusic This Week
- Rodman Calls It Quits With Kim Jong Un
- Growth Expected if Congress Passes Budget