Nov. 13--Hey man, tune up that El Camino and hit The Joint for comedy duo Cheech and Chong's stop in town next month.
Cheech Marin and Tommy Chong are set to perform their comedy and music acts with the band War at The Joint at Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Tulsa on Dec. 30. Tickets start at $25 and go on sale Nov. 21.
Icons of the counterculture movement of the 1970s and 1980s, Cheech and Chong gained notoriety for their stand-up routines, comedy albums and several films.
Cheech and Chong may be best known for their extensive material concerning marijuana and drug culture. "Up in Smoke" was the title of their first movie, which became a cult classic and commercial success after its release in 1978.
They have released eight films and nine comedy albums, earning four Grammy nominations and one win for best comedy album.
The duo had a falling out in the 1980s, each going on to work on separate projects.
But since 2008, Cheech and Chong have been touring and hinting at another live-action film (an animated feature was released earlier this year).
The funk and jazz band War had several hits with a Latin flavor, including "Spill the Wine," "The Cisco Kid" and "Low Rider," which was used in the opening of "Up in Smoke."
Tickets may be purchased starting Nov. 21 at hardrockcasinotulsa.com, by calling 918-384-ROCK or by visiting The Joint box office at 777 W. Cherokee St. in Catoosa.
Jerry Wofford 918-581-8346
(c)2013 Tulsa World (Tulsa, Okla.)
Visit Tulsa World (Tulsa, Okla.) at www.tulsaworld.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Government: 500 Million Records Stolen in 12 Months
- Mom Makes Toys R Us Pull 'Breaking Bad' Dolls
- More Hispanic Voters May Not Mean More Clout
- Pistorius Gets 5-year Sentence in Shooting Death
- Apple Pay Debuts With Few Issues
- Cuba Deploys More Medicos in Ebola Fight
- 2016 Camaro Shrinks, Moves to Caddy Platform
- Volatility No Reason to Bail on Stock Market
- Samsung Phones Cleared For U.S. Government Use
- Disney's Animated Feature 'Moana' Slated for 2016 Release