Nov. 10--The Strand Theatre in Rockland will pay tribute to the late jazz legend Marian McPartland with a special screening of the film, "In Good Time, The Piano Jazz of Marian McPartland."
The film will be shown at 3:30 p.m. Sunday at The Strand, 345 Main St. It documents the life and career of McPartland as a jazz musician, composer and host of National Public Radio's "Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz." This is the first in-person screening since McPartland died in August.
A native of England, McPartland arrived in America in 1948 and established herself as a leading musician in a male-dominated jazz world. At 94, McPartland told her own story in interviews filmed over four years. The documentary was created by James Coleman, an independent filmmaker from Portland who goes by the name Huey.
Huey's film features McPartland's own musical compositions and piano improvisations. She is seen performing and regaling audiences with her wit and stories in clubs and concerts. She also tells stories of "Piano Jazz" recording sessions with musicians such as Billy Taylor, Elvis Costello, Dave Brubeck, Diana Krall and others.
Huey will be on hand to introduce the film and answer questions from the audience after the screening. Admission is $7.50.
For more information or to purchase tickets, call The Strand at 594-0070 or go to www.rocklandstrand.com.
(c)2013 the Portland Press Herald (Portland, Maine)
Visit the Portland Press Herald (Portland, Maine) at www.pressherald.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- U.S. Families 'Extraordinarily Vulnerable': Yellen
- Hillary Clinton to Address CHCI Conference
- Larry Ellison Steps Down as Oracle CEO
- Apple Locks Itself Out of Devices
- Alibaba Prices IPO at $68 a Share
- Veterans to Get Training as Solar Panel Installers
- Hispanics Doubt Marco Rubio's Chances
- Wildfires Rage in California
- John Cantlie Delivers ISIS Message to Save Life
- Alibaba: Today China, Tomorrow the World