Latinas! The tradition of your heritage has caught on like wild fire and Dia de los Muertos make-up is now one of the most popular Halloween costumes, but it began with you, so represent and where it well.
Below you will find some of the best Dia de los Muertos tutorials on the web, but first let's discuss what the tradition is all about.
The two-day holiday focuses on gatherings of family and friends to pray for and remember friends and family members who have died. It is particularly celebrated in Mexico, where it is a national holiday, and all banks are closed. The celebration takes place on November 1 and 2, in connection with the Catholic holidays of All Saints' Day and All Souls' Day.
Tradition takes families to cemeteries to honor their dearly departed. Families gather around reminiscing about their family members who have passed on, but it's also a means to celebrate their life on Earth. For the latter, people bring the person's favorite food, drinks, or if it was a child, perhaps their favorite toy.
Altars are built with elaborate adornments from flowers to fruit, or tequila to coca-cola. Today and tomorrow there are organizations across the country celebrating Dia de los Muertos, find a place and support the tradition -- it will be worth it.
Here is just one aspect of the tradition that has been embraced by pop culture: Make-up! Enjoy, be creative and make it your own.
Youtube user: venusocean
Youtube user: SarahVictor
Youtube user: Iris J.
Youtube user: therealkatsketch
Youtube user: Michelle Phan
Youtube user: BargainPrincess
Most Popular Stories
- Chinese May Have Spotted Malaysia Airlines Debris
- Social Media Causee Sleep Deprivation in Students
- Obama, Ukraine Discuss Russian Incursion in Crimea
- First-time Jobless Claims Drop Unexpectedly
- General Electric Plans IPO of Credit Card Unit
- U.S. Business Inventories Up, Retail Sales Down
- 'Candy Crush' Maker Files IPO
- First-time U.S. Jobless Claims Hit 3-month Low
- Why Buffett Bets Big on Green Energy
- SXSW Crash Kills 2, Injures 23