The "White House Down" flop added to earnings woes at
The action movie's lackluster box office performance, especially compared with last year's releases of "
The company slashed its profit forecast for the fiscal year ending in March to
Sales for the July-September quarter rose 10.6 per cent from a year earlier to
The company's sales of digital cameras and video cameras fell while its television, music and smartphone businesses improved. Sales of its Xperia Z smartphone helped and are expected to remain strong, the company said.
Although sales of televisions and personal computers improved slightly from earlier in the year, they were lower than the same quarter of 2012.
"The electronics business is declining beyond expectations" due to shrinking sales of televisions and other audio-visual equipment, along with slowing growth in major emerging markets such as
The company, which has suffered declining fortunes for several years, is also gearing up for the launch of its PlayStation 4 game machine. But it still faces fierce competition from Apple's iPad and iPhone as well as from powerful South Korean rival
Still, its loss for April to September narrowed to
Rival Panasonic, meanwhile, said its quarterly profit improved to
Most Popular Stories
- Hezbollah Chief's Assassination Claimed by Sunni Group
- SpaceX's Satellite Launch Is 'Game-Changer'
- Allstate Seeks to Invest in Minority Firms
- U.S. Growth Stayed Steady During Shutdown, Fed Says
- Newtown Massacre Heard on 911 Recordings
- Climate Change Early Warning System Urged
- Latin Music Conference Turns 25
- New Home Sales Shoot up 25 Percent in October
- Reid Confident Congress to Pass Immigration Bill
- Liberty Power Gets Minority Business Nod