Nov. 01--President Barack Obama considering dropping Joe Biden from his 2012 re-election ticket in favor of Hillary Clinton, a new book says.
Obama ultimately backed off after calculating that the boost he'd receive from adding Clinton wasn't enough to justify such a radical move.
Journalists Mark Halperin and John Heilemann detail the drama in their new book, Double Down.
"When the research came back near the end of (2011), it suggested that adding Clinton to the ticket wouldn't materially improve Obama's odds," the authors write. "Biden had dodged a bullet he never saw coming -- and never would know anything about, if the Obamans could keep a secret."
(c)2013 The Kansas City Star (Kansas City, Mo.)
Visit The Kansas City Star (Kansas City, Mo.) at www.kansascity.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Original headline: BRIEF: Obama considered dumping Biden in 2011 in favor of Clinton
Most Popular Stories
- American Airlines, US Airways Complete Merger
- ACA Delay Stresses Small Businesses
- Unemployed Wait as Lawmakers Debate
- Saab Gets Back into the Game; U.S. Auto Sales Soar
- Dell Offers Undisclosed Number of Employee Buyouts
- General Dynamics Plans 200 New Jobs in N.M.
- Authorities Close to Deal with JPMorgan Chase over Madoff Response
- Questions Remain in Jenni Rivera's Death
- U.S. Stocks Rise on Sysco Acquisition
- Harley Issues Motorcycle Recall