Nov. 01--President Barack Obama considering dropping Joe Biden from his 2012 re-election ticket in favor of Hillary Clinton, a new book says.
Obama ultimately backed off after calculating that the boost he'd receive from adding Clinton wasn't enough to justify such a radical move.
Journalists Mark Halperin and John Heilemann detail the drama in their new book, Double Down.
"When the research came back near the end of (2011), it suggested that adding Clinton to the ticket wouldn't materially improve Obama's odds," the authors write. "Biden had dodged a bullet he never saw coming -- and never would know anything about, if the Obamans could keep a secret."
(c)2013 The Kansas City Star (Kansas City, Mo.)
Visit The Kansas City Star (Kansas City, Mo.) at www.kansascity.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Original headline: BRIEF: Obama considered dumping Biden in 2011 in favor of Clinton
Most Popular Stories
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign
- FDIC Sues Big Banks Over Rate Manipulation
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder
- Is Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 in Andaman Sea?
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- FDIC Accuses Big Banks of Fraud, Conspiracy
- Stocks Close Lower Ahead of Crimea Vote
- U.S. Consumer Sentiment Falls in Early March
- Ulta Shares Look Good on Strong Q4
- Jittery Investors Dumping Russian Stocks