Nov. 01--President Barack Obama considering dropping Joe Biden from his 2012 re-election ticket in favor of Hillary Clinton, a new book says.
Obama ultimately backed off after calculating that the boost he'd receive from adding Clinton wasn't enough to justify such a radical move.
Journalists Mark Halperin and John Heilemann detail the drama in their new book, Double Down.
"When the research came back near the end of (2011), it suggested that adding Clinton to the ticket wouldn't materially improve Obama's odds," the authors write. "Biden had dodged a bullet he never saw coming -- and never would know anything about, if the Obamans could keep a secret."
(c)2013 The Kansas City Star (Kansas City, Mo.)
Visit The Kansas City Star (Kansas City, Mo.) at www.kansascity.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Original headline: BRIEF: Obama considered dumping Biden in 2011 in favor of Clinton
Most Popular Stories
- Homeowners More Satisfied With Mortgage Servicers
- Discounts Help U.S. Auto Sales Sizzle in July
- Russia, Ukraine Now Face Off Over Football Clubs
- Colorado Issuing Immigrant Driver's Licenses
- Recruiting and Keeping the Perfect Employee
- MassMutual Teams Up With ALPFA
- Chrysler U.S. Sales in July Hit 9-Year High
- Fiat Looks Abroad After Chrysler Merger Vote
- Dow Wipes Out Gains for the Year: What Happens Now?
- Obama Vows to Veto House Immigration Bill