Nov. 01--President Barack Obama considering dropping Joe Biden from his 2012 re-election ticket in favor of Hillary Clinton, a new book says.
Obama ultimately backed off after calculating that the boost he'd receive from adding Clinton wasn't enough to justify such a radical move.
Journalists Mark Halperin and John Heilemann detail the drama in their new book, Double Down.
"When the research came back near the end of (2011), it suggested that adding Clinton to the ticket wouldn't materially improve Obama's odds," the authors write. "Biden had dodged a bullet he never saw coming -- and never would know anything about, if the Obamans could keep a secret."
(c)2013 The Kansas City Star (Kansas City, Mo.)
Visit The Kansas City Star (Kansas City, Mo.) at www.kansascity.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Original headline: BRIEF: Obama considered dumping Biden in 2011 in favor of Clinton
Most Popular Stories
- Rackspace Ends Talks About Possible Acquisition
- Mercedes Rolls Out S550 Plug-in Hybrid
- Missouri GM Plant Adding 750 jobs
- Family Dollar Spurning Bid From Dollar General
- Kohl's Hiring 67,000 for the Holidays
- Poverty Rate Drops for First Time Since 2006
- FedEx Adding 50,000 Holiday Jobs
- Cool Features on Today's New iOS 8
- Toxic Algae Threatens Florida Fishing, Tourism
- Cedeno Named USHCC Businessman of the Year