Nov. 01--Two Ventura County theater companies are up for honors at the 24th annual Ovation Awards. The ceremony, which recognizes excellence in Southern California theater, will take place Sunday in San Gabriel.
Cabrillo Music Theatre in Thousand Oaks is up for six awards in five categories, all for its production of "Legally Blonde" this summer. The nominations are for best production of a musical (large theater), acting ensemble of a musical (large theater), lead actress in a musical (for Emma Degerstedt, who starred as Elle Woods), featured actor in a musical (for Matt Bauer, who played Emmett) and featured actress in a musical (for Jaycie Dotin as Brooke and Lowe Taylor as Paulette).
Rubicon Theatre in Ventura is up for one award: lead actress in a play for Julie Granata, who portrayed Amanda in the company's 2012 production of No l Coward's "Private Lives."
Founded in 1989, the Ovation Awards are presented by the L.A. Stage Alliance. Theater companies must be Alliance members to be eligible for awards.
Center Theatre Group received the most nominations with 29, followed by La Mirada Theatre for the Performing Arts with 24. Cabrillo's tally of six nominations placed it ahead of such major arts organizations as the Pasadena Playhouse (five), Geffen Playhouse (four) and Actors' Gang (three).
The Ovation Awards will take place at 7 p.m. Sunday at the San Gabriel Mission Playhouse, 320 S. Mission Drive, San Gabriel. Michael McKean will host. Celebrity presenters will include Ed Begley Jr., Erich Bergen, Amy Brenneman, Val Kilmer, Wendie Malick, Ana Ortiz and Steven Weber. For tickets, $100-$200, or to see a complete list of nominations, visit www.ovationawards.com.
(c)2013 Ventura County Star (Camarillo, Calif.)
Visit Ventura County Star (Camarillo, Calif.) at www.vcstar.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Top Hispanic Tech Companies Push for the Top
- 5 Notable Hispanic Technology Executives
- Tesla's Alt-Energy Future Aims for Massive Lithium-Ion Battery Production
- FAA to Appeal Court Decision Allowing Commercial Drone Use
- Rand Paul Tops Presidential Straw Poll at Conservative PAC Conference
- California Establishes Center for Coffee Study
- New Chat App, Yik Yak, Causes Problems for Students
- Sunday Starts Daylight Saving Time
- Arriola Takes Charge at SoCalGas
- Obama Meets with Ukraine Prime Minister Wednesday