It is the first legislative step in a major diplomatic and technological push by
The marco civil da internet - or civil rights framework for the internet - has been in the pipeline for more than a year, but it was fast-tracked by Rousseff in September after leaked documents from NSA whistleblower
Officials are haggling with legislators and telecom companies over last-minute amendments to the bill, which will only apply domestically but is likely to set several fundamental principles for the government's international strategy.
The marco civil was primarily intended to enshrine the rights of
But, since the NSA scandal broke, the government has also pressed for an amendment that would oblige
This has proved controversial. Critics say such a step would reduce efficiency and could lead to protectionism and a fragmentation of the internet.
Progress on the marco civil has also been held up by a dispute over net neutrality, under which internet providers are supposed to treat and set charges for all data equally. Telecom companies are arguing for more scope on pricing but the government says the spying revelations make this too urgent to leave much longer.
"We cannot turn our backs because it is controversial," said the leader of the ruling party in the lower house,
The debate on the marco civil is scheduled to begin on Tuesday. It is only a small part of the plans to make
Rousseff, who is facing an election next year, has made internet security one of her priorities.
After the spying scandal broke in September, she called on
Along with the diplomacy,
Most Popular Stories
- Apple Wants Samsung to Pay $22M for Patent Dispute Legal Bills
- Twitter Coming to Phones Without Internet
- NASA Fellowships, Scholarships Bring Diversity to Workforce
- Dish Network Leads 2013 Top 50 Advertisers List
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- Jobs Report Brings Cheer As Unemployment Drops to Five-year Low
- Starbucks Gets Grinchy; No Gingerbread Lattes for Tampa Customers
- Entravision Initiates Quarterly Cash Dividend
- Warner Bros. Unleashes 'Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug' Merchandise