Oct. 09--Shohreh Aghdashloo, the first Iranian actress to be nominated for an Academy Award, will be honored at the sixth Noor Iranian Film Festival, which takes place Oct. 18-24.
Aghdashloo, who earned a supporting actress Oscar nomination for 2003's "House of Sand and Fog," will receive the NIFF Achievement Award at the closing night ceremonies at the Skirball Cultural Center. Producer Hawk Koch, president of the Producers Guild of America who just completed a year as president of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
"We are happy to have Shohreh Aghdashloo as the recipient of the 2013 NIFF Achievement Award," said festival co-founder and director Siamak Ghahremani in a statement. "Her exemplary talent and her accomplishments in Hollywood are something that the Iranian American community is very proud of. She is truly a living legend in our community.
"The Noor Film Festival is an incredible tool for Iranians and non-Iranians alike," said Aghdashloo in a statement. "We have such a rich cultural heritage that goes far beyond the stereotypes of Iran that are constantly seen in the news media."
This year's festival includes 35 features, documentaries and shorts at Laemmle's Music Hall. Among the highlights are Mohsen Makhmalbaf's "The Gardner"; Youssef Delara's "Filly Brown"; and Marjan Setrapi and Vincent Paronnaud's "Chicken with Plums."
Eight juried awards will also be handed out on closing night in such categories as audience favorite, best director, best actor, best actress.
(c)2013 the Los Angeles Times
Visit the Los Angeles Times at www.latimes.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Menendez Introduces Tough Sanctions Against Russia
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- Republican Jolly Wins Fla. Special Election
- Banks Buying Little From Minority Firms: Study
- Senate Dems Pull All-Nighter on Global Warming
- World Wide Web Turns 25
- Clarke Replaces Perez at Eastman Kodak
- Vestas Ramps Up Hiring to Build Wind Turbines
- Obama Seeks Overtime Pay for Salaried Workers
- Justin Bieber Comes Between Taylor Swift and Selena Gomez