The abstract of the patent published by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office states: "A computing device, computer readable storage medium, and method for migration of a physical machine to a virtual machine are disclosed. The computing device executes an operating system installer and generates a virtual disk image at a temporary location. The computing device copies data from one or more existing partitions on a storage device to the virtual disk image, wherein the one or more existing partitions include an existing operating system and associated data. The virtual disk image is stored at a temporary location. The one or more existing partitions are then replaced with a new partition on the storage device. A new operating system is installed on the new partition. The virtual disk image is moved to the new partition from the temporary location. The virtual disk image can then be loaded into a virtual machine that runs on the new operating system."
The patent application was filed on
Most Popular Stories
- SpaceX's Satellite Launch Is 'Game-Changer'
- Reid Confident Congress to Pass Immigration Bill
- Maui Visitor Killed in Shark Attack
- Donors Abandon GOP Over Gun Stance
- Mexico: 'Extremely Dangerous' Radioactive Material Stolen
- Climate Change Early Warning System Urged
- CEOs More Optimistic About Economy, Hiring
- Private Sector Employment Surges by 215,000 Jobs
- Wisconsin Gov. Campaign Aide Fired Over Tweets
- Newtown 911 Tapes Being Released Today