By The Associated Press
THE EVENT: The Busan International Film Festival is one of the most important events in the Asian film industry, drawing more than 200,000 visitors last year.
RISING STARS: The South Korean festival has distinguished itself from older film festivals by helping unearth new talent in Asia.
STAR GOODWILL: Asia's biggest movie stars help out for a pittance. Hong Kong star Aaron Kwok opened this year's festival for about $465, the same as Chinese actress Tang Wei accepted last year. Lee Chang-dong, whose "Poetry" won best screenplay at the 2010 Cannes Film Festival, is receiving about $928 to serve as dean of the festival's 18-day training academy for novice filmmakers.
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- McDonald's Packages Coffee for National Distribution
- Castro-Blanco Joins Fifth Street Finance Board
- Ballmer Steps Down From Microsoft Board
- HTC Makes Windows Version of Flagship One Phone
- Rising Freight Prices Signal Global Recovery
- Sprint Cancels Framily, Rolls Out New Data Pricing Plan
- Eric Holder Bringing Civil Rights Reminders to Ferguson
- Russia Claims Ukraine Leaders Are Satanists, Jews or Maybe Even Scientologists
- Bob Marley Musical to Make Premiere in Baltimore
- Uber Hires Obama Campaign Manager David Plouffe