By The Associated Press
THE EVENT: The Busan International Film Festival is one of the most important events in the Asian film industry, drawing more than 200,000 visitors last year.
RISING STARS: The South Korean festival has distinguished itself from older film festivals by helping unearth new talent in Asia.
STAR GOODWILL: Asia's biggest movie stars help out for a pittance. Hong Kong star Aaron Kwok opened this year's festival for about $465, the same as Chinese actress Tang Wei accepted last year. Lee Chang-dong, whose "Poetry" won best screenplay at the 2010 Cannes Film Festival, is receiving about $928 to serve as dean of the festival's 18-day training academy for novice filmmakers.
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Toxic Algae Threatens Florida Fishing, Tourism
- Hispanic Groups Lead Voter Registration Drive
- Fed Signals It Will Keep Key Rate at Record Low
- Eva Mendes Gives Birth to a Baby Girl
- Stocks Rise Before Fed Statement
- Occupy Wall Street Buys Up Student Debt
- FedEx Adding 50,000 Holiday Jobs
- Plus-Size iPhones Live Up to The Hype
- Kohl's Hiring 67,000 for the Holidays
- Cool Features on Today's New iOS 8