Dassault and Thales win Atlantique 2 modernisation deal
Under the enhancement contract, awarded by
"The upgrade programme will improve the Atlantique 2's ability to deal with new and emerging threats under all weather conditions, both in strategic deterrence roles and in asymmetric conflicts involving quiet and stealthy submarines, high-speed craft, land vehicles, etc," says the manufacturer. It will allow the aircraft to remain in operational service beyond 2030, it says.
Dassault will develop the core system, which will include
Thales will be in charge of developing the radar, which will use technology originally designed for the Rafale fighter. It will also design a new digital acoustic processing subsystem enabling the Atlantique 2s to detect targets over a wider frequency range, "making it possible to counter new types of threats".
Dassault is already engaged in a separate upgrade programme to boost the French navy's maritime surveillance capability through the conversion of four Falcon 50Bs formerly operated by the nation's governmental transport squadron.
The first of the reconfigured aircraft, now designated the Falcon 50MS, was received by the navy on 6 September. The remaining three aircraft will be delivered by 2015, says the DGA.
To perform search and rescue, fisheries protection and anti-smuggling tasks, the enhanced aircraft are fitted with a Thales Ocean Master radar, observation bays, infrared imaging equipment and an operator console.
Most Popular Stories
- Apple Wants Samsung to Pay $22M for Patent Dispute Legal Bills
- Twitter Coming to Phones Without Internet
- NASA Fellowships, Scholarships Bring Diversity to Workforce
- Dish Network Leads 2013 Top 50 Advertisers List
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- Entravision Initiates Quarterly Cash Dividend
- Jobs Report Brings Cheer As Unemployment Drops to Five-year Low
- Starbucks Gets Grinchy; No Gingerbread Lattes for Tampa Customers
- Warner Bros. Unleashes 'Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug' Merchandise