technology applications in BioMEMS -->
SPTS Technologies, a supplier of advanced wafer processing solutions, and imec, a world-leading nanoelectronics research center have announced a joint partnership to further advance micro- and nanosized components for BioMEMS, using SPTS Rapier silicon deep reactive ion etching (Si DRIE) technology.
Micro and nanotechnologies are fast becoming key enablers in medical research, diagnosis and treatment, with rapid developments in areas like DNA sequencing and molecular diagnostics. Imec, as one of the pioneers in the field, is developing the underlying heterogeneous technology and components as the backbone to these life science tools.
One of the most important process techniques in BioMEMS manufacturing is deep silicon etching. It can be used to manufacture devices such as microfluidic channels, polymerase chain reaction (PCR) chambers, mixers and filters. As a leading institute in advanced micro and nanoelectronics research, imec is currently developing lab-on-chip technology for fast SNP (single nucleotide polymorphisms) detection in human DNA and a microsized detection system for circulating tumor cells in the human blood stream. The outcome of this research will be products that deliver a better quality of life for current and future generations.
We chose SPTS as a partner after running extensive wafer demonstrations on their tool, challenging them on the demanding structures required by our current projects, says
We are very pleased to be working with imec, a world-renowned institute with a global reputation for developing cutting-edge technology , said
Most Popular Stories
- Apple Wants Samsung to Pay $22M for Patent Dispute Legal Bills
- Twitter Coming to Phones Without Internet
- NASA Fellowships, Scholarships Bring Diversity to Workforce
- Dish Network Leads 2013 Top 50 Advertisers List
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- Entravision Initiates Quarterly Cash Dividend
- Jobs Report Brings Cheer As Unemployment Drops to Five-year Low
- Warner Bros. Unleashes 'Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug' Merchandise
- Shanghai Smog Forces Factory Shutdowns