Baydar said she was always interested in math and science subjects from her days at
"Since childhood, I have been fascinated by everything related to space: films, documentaries and books. I've always dreamed of joining the
Lu, who also is the director of the
Baydar already has done research with UT Arlington Mathematics Professor
"Izzy learns quickly. Her work in mathematics will serve her well in aerospace engineering," Lu said. "It's a nice fit, which benefits her and is great for this University."
Baydar said that was her goal ever since she enrolled at UT
"I wanted to combine something that took advantage of my love of math and science. Aerospace engineering fits those interests well and it combines math, mechanical engineering, avionics and engine design," Baydar said. "UT
Lu and Baydar's work at
"We want to make more modern designs for these air inlets," Baydar said. "We want them to be able to perform better at speeds between Mach 1 and Mach 2."
Mach 1 is about 760 miles per hour.
The NASA Harriett G. Jenkins Graduate Fellowship Program has supported 211 students since 2001 as they obtained masters and doctoral degrees. The graduate fellowship seeks to support the development of the future Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics workforce through the increased number of graduate degrees awarded to underrepresented and underserved people, such as women, minorities and persons with disabilities.
Keywords for this news article include:
Our reports deliver fact-based news of research and discoveries from around the world. Copyright 2013, NewsRx LLC
Most Popular Stories
- 2014 Will Be 'Breakthrough Year' for U.S., Obama Says
- Climate Change Isn't an Equal Opportunity Destroyer
- Renewable Energy Group to Acquire Syntroleum
- Kanye, Kardashians and Other Kooks: A Wacky, Tacky, Entertaining Year
- Ally Financial Settles Auto Loan Suit
- Covered California Lags on Hispanic Enrollment
- Luis Suarez Re-ups With Liverpool F.C.
- Chris Christie Set to Sign Tuition Aid Bill
- Time No Longer Stands Still for Cuban Entrepreneurs
- Gay Athletes Part of U.S. Sochi Group